Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Here

Or is it Spring, I'm not sure? Yes, the weather continues to play havoc with our gardens, no question. I keep a garden journal and noted that my billbergia (bromeliad) was blooming at the end of June! Normally it blooms in March. Then again it was 90 degrees the last two days and my late planted sunflowers are shooting up, with the lovely pale green Jade variety already with its first flower. Some plants are clearly confused. My Mexican Hat (Ratibida) started blooming in February and hasn't stopped. Lilies are one of the shows this time of year and mine have not disappointed. My Asiatic lilies were so fragrant and I'm waiting on a new lily called (appropriately for this golf fan) Tiger Woods to open. Speaking of tigers, my yellow tiger lilies have already opened with the orange ones soon to come. The garden is really exploding with color now, with several varieties of alstromeria in bloom, my Marmalade bush going crazy, my lotus sending out a waterfall of ferny foliage and new masses of those red parrot's beaks. And the vines, not messed up by the cool spring that's before their time, are starting to bloom. Star and pink jasmines, passion flower vines (especially my charming and very prolific yellow citrina), an orange and multi-colored thunbergia, the latter having taken over a west-facing wall and the unique snail vine, with its lovely lavender snail-shaped flowers. Even the ampelopsis has put out clusters of tiny white flowers, with the real payoff, those electric blue berries, still to come.
I have been on a bit of a fuchsia kick lately, with my favorite still being the unique Rose Quartet variety. Only pictures will do it justice so will post one shortly.
I find that summer is one of those rare times of rest for garden work. I've planted all the main spring stuff; I've then yanked out the spring annuals and replaced them with either summer annuals (petunias, phlox, snaps etc) or planted a few more perennials. I've done the majority of the weeding that winter and early spring produced; it's not yet time for fall projects. It's mostly the week to week upkeep and enjoying everything that's blooming. Which in my diverse, nursery-like garden, is quite a lot. Hope everyone else is in such a similarly enjoyable phase of rest. Then again, I always feel that whenever I have the impulse to tackle an area of my garden that needs work, I best do it while I have that inclination.
So stay tuned for a healthy posting of photos from the late spring/early summer blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10