Saturday, September 18, 2010

Garden Visitors

As we head into fall, with its cooler temperatures and fewer flowers in bloom, my thoughts turn to helping the various winged visitors to my garden. I have several kinds of hummingbirds that are regular visitors and they love my marmalade bush's nectar rich orange flowers, as well as the salvias that are in bloom right now. But I recently decided to hang a hummingbird feeder to augment their feeding and that has proven very popular. I have it outside my kitchen window, in full view of my writing desk, so I get wonderful views of their visits.
There are of course a variety of other birds around our tree-lined street. The list includes finches & sparrows of all kinds, titmice, jays, mockingbirds, towhees, the occasional oriole and, since I've hung a sock feeder filled with nyjer seed, a crew of lesser goldfinches. Providing birdseed for these visitors will not only bring you the delight such visitors bring but help the ecosystem. Birds help to keep the insect population in balance among other useful functions. For those of you wanting to check out birds in your area, you might take a look at Whatbird.com. One doesn't need to venture out into the woods to observe a variety of bird life. Give them a little food and fresh water and they'll find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10