Saturday, October 27, 2012

Not so Scary Gardens

At least here in the milder zones of the Bay Area, where many of our Hallowe'en gardens are still showing wonderful Autumn colors. I continue to be amazed at how much is still in bloom in my little "nursery," as I like to call my collection. Walking my neighborhood and driving around N. Oakland I see many other wonderful gardens showing their fall color. Two plants still in pots in my front yard continue to be delights -- the unstoppable Lepechinia with its salvia-like wine-colored flowers and the unusual yellow flowering Alyogyne hakeafolia (photo below). Meanwhile Tahoe has had its first snow, something the ski resorts are only too happy to welcome. Here are a few more photos of my late October garden. From top to bottom:

Moraea iridoides. Though common, this flower is still exceptionally pretty.
Bessera elegans. The most beautiful bulb few have ever heard of. It even has a lovely common name - Coral Drops. They look like little parasols to me.
Scabiosa ochroleuca with ladybug. This week's Pick column, I couldn't resist shooting a photo of an industrious little ladybug foraging.
Agastache species. The plant of the summer at our Ace nursery. We sold a bundle of these fragrant charmers.
Swainsona. Hands down, the star of my Australian shrubs bed this year. Keeps on blooming, much to the delight of local bees.
Justicia species. This plant has survived all manner of abuse, including being outside year round, and has begun flowering again.
Fuchsia. A simple one but huge flowers and a great color combo.
Buddha in the tropics. I've situated this Buddha statue in my tropical corner. He seems quite at home.
Adenanthos. Known as Wooly bush for its ultra soft foliage, this plant brings to mind that 60s song Wooly Bully.
Dahlia Seattle. Each succeeding flower gets pinker, which offers lovely tones to the base yellow.
Alyogyne hakeafolia. Backlit by the sun, it's just the loveliest soft yellow.
Phylica plumosa. Speaking of sunlit, check out the sparkling hairs on this wonderful little shrub. It's been one of the success stories in my garden.
Pink oxalis. The large lime green foliage is as much the attraction as the vibrant pink flowers.
Cyrtanthus species. This little guy, a gift from a local S. African plant collector, seems to be in bloom for more than half the year. Love its coral-orange blooms.
Mina lobata. Love this guy and the way the flowers progress in color from bright red to almost white.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10