Saturday, March 23, 2013

I weed, therefore I am ...

Ahh, yes, spring! Return of bulbs. Introduction of new colorful annuals. And ... weeding. I swear, you can add weedy grasses to the short list of things that will survive after life disappears on this earth. I spent six hours ridding my front garden of weeds over these last two days. Out with the weeds, down with the bark mulch. So for now I can look out and see flowers not flowers AND weeds so maybe the stiff back is worth the effort.
Not that I'm complaining. A friend's visit spurred me to clean things up and now I get to reap the visual benefit. Speaking of which, here are more photos of "new" arrivals, demonstrating my garden's transition into spring. Top to bottom they are:
Corydalis flexuosa China Blue. I let this beauty go dry and almost killed it but now it has rebounded nicely. I think of the flowers as little blue seahorses.
Gladiolus alatus. I didn't quite catch this little S. African glad at its prime but salmon-orange petals and a chartreuse lip make this one of the most unique and showiest of the species Glads.
Hyacinthoides hispanica. A lovely and reliable bulb, with surprisingly large flowers for a scilla.
Winter Sorbet wallflower. Just now starting to put on a show, I love the color variation.
Ixia longituba bellendenii. A lovely bright pink ixia.
Leucospermum sp. An unknown species from one of our houseplant growers, this vigorous pincushion plant is loaded with flower buds this year.
Ornithogalum umbellatum. A cute ground cover species of this S. African bulb.
Magnolia Alexandrina. I think magnolia flowers can sometimes be most appealing in bud form.
Chaenomeles Cameo. I love all things coral and just added this vigorous flowering quince.
Cistus salviifolius.  I planted this spreading rockrose in my neighbor's yard eight years ago and it's still going strong with with little or no attention.
Abelia sp. 'Chiapas.' A rare form from the SF Botanical Garden, this is different from the standard shrub abelia in two ways: it has a low growing, spreading form and it's sweetly fragrant.
Melaleuca incana. Love the butter yellow flowers on this Aussie native.
Leucadendron linifolium cone. This unique leucadendron produces lovely little silvery cones. If it's a female plant, which luckily mine turned out to be.
Iceland poppy. Common plant; uncommon perspective. Here it's the stamen that are the show, though the vivid orange backdrop helps too.
Ribes sanguineum. A final goodbye to this year's flowering, which was the most spectacular ever.
Hydrangea quercifolia. This oakleaf hydrangea held onto its old leaves even as it leafed out in spring, providing an interesting contrast in color and texture.
Lonicera sempervirens. This evergreen Eastern native honeysuckle has decided it likes its location and is putting on quite the show, scrambling over a metal arch.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10