Saturday, April 20, 2013

Go South Young Man

I just returned from a refreshing trip to Half Moon Bay, one of my favorite areas. Nurseries galore, interesting art shops and of course the ocean. Funny, for living practically on its doorstep, I don't often get to the beach. Gardening can be an all encompassing world, especially when it's your day job, when it's also your weekend job and a large garden you're trying to keep up with. Getting away is always good; getting away to a bit of paradise like HMB is especially good. Mind you, having one day not two to do home stuff left me far less time to do gardening projects and the weeds are re-growing but c'est la vie!
Here are a few more photos of my spring garden, plus a couple HMB shots to open. From top to bottom:

Half Moon Bay. This shot is taken from the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. It was low tide so I got to spend a little time at the tide pools.
Half Moon Bay. The hillside was covered with ice plants, making for a pretty, sloping floral carpet.
Epipactis gigantea 'Serpentine Night.' The dark form of CA stream orchid. I need to find a home for it, a place where it can naturalize and show off its spring colors.
Cosmos Double Cranberry. A new variety from Annie's, it has the richest hue of any double I've seen.
Rhoeas poppies. Each flower is beautiful but a stand of them is much more so.
Leucospermum 'Veldfire.' I keep telling myself, no more Veldfire photos, but the flower is so stunning that I can't help myself. For me, this is Exhibit A for why Pincushions are at the top of the Proteaceae family.
Phacelia minor. Nothing minor about this vigorous CA Bluebell. Somewhat distinct within the genus for its true tubular flowers, it's an especially vigorous species. Last year it nearly overran everything in my 'blue' bed so I've given it its own pot this year.
Aquilegia Leprechaun Gold. Although the variegated foliage is the main attraction to this columbine, the double, pleated flowers exude an old world charm.
Laburnum anagyroides. A better photo of the simple but lovely Golden Chain tree flowers. I was thrilled to have the tree finally start coming into its own this year.
Centaurea Blue Diadem. Sometimes a photo is the best way to appreciate the stunning beauty of flowers. You may not know this but the cornea only takes in 40% of the visual information of an object we look at. The brain fills in the rest. A photo captures 100% of the info and then when the computer screen offers an illuminated version of the object, sometimes the view is more dramatic. Like here.
Penstemon 'Raven.' Though I didn't plan it this way, the fir tree here provides a woodsy backdrop for this penstemon (thus quoth the Raven).
Spaeralcea munroana. One of my favorite plants, the soft textured foliage and pretty, one inch rosy flowers make this my favorite mallow. Tough too.
Echium wildpretii. For my dime, the most stunning of all the echiums (and that's saying something). I think it's partly the vertical flowering spike, and the flower color, although the silvery foliage of the rosette is pretty great too.
Choisya ternata 'Sundance.' All the great things about Mexican Mock Orange and golden new foliage. I rest my case.
Viburnum opulus. Now in its fifth year, my Snowball viburnum is finally coming into its own. It's in a narrow, west-facing strip I call The Jungle, as the shrubs there are somewhat left to their own devices and have acquired a 'wild' look.
Iochroma coccinea. Another Jungle denizen, this has become my favorite Iochroma. Mine doesn't go completely deciduous, it has a much longer bloom season than I. cyanea and it doesn't get as huge as other species.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10