Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Glory

My nursery manager said yesterday that we might have just witnessed our biggest day of the year, sales wise, and that may be true. That's a sign of spring fever, both for vegetable and flower gardeners. With the perfect weather, we all want to be out in the garden, getting our hands in the soil, be that preparing a bed, planting or even weeding. And of course there is a bounty of plants to choose from, especially for flower gardeners, There are so many annuals available now, native or non-native, that one is hard pressed to decide which ones to not bring home.
Here are a few more photos of my garden as it opens its arms to welcome spring.

Rhododendron CA Blue. I thought thrips had got this Sonoma Hort selection but it has recovered and has bloomed for the first time. The hard fought victories are always the sweetest!
Lonicera sempervirens. I know honeysuckles are vigorous but this species seems to bloom 8-9 months out of the year.
Adiantum raddianum 'Ocean Spray.' Lovely new growth on this less common maidenhair fern.
Maianthemum. A lovely and vigorous deciduous ground cover for shade. I got mine from Cal Flora but I'm surprised it's not more commonly available.
Sambucus 'Madonna.' A beautiful elderberry that doesn't get too huge. I cut it back to the ground last winter and that didn't stop it from springing forth with lush new growth.
Canary Creeper. Though it's not in bloom yet, this unique nasturtium looks to climb on anything it can find, in this case a windchime.
The garden guardians. Okay, maybe not guardians as they run whenever a stranger approaches but my black cat Jet especially loves being out in the garden with me and will wait patiently by the door, knowing I'm about to head out into the garden on my days off.
Beschorneria sp. 'Queretaro.' This small-sized species is about to unfurl its flowers. A favorite stop for hummingbirds.
Clematis 'Belle of Woking.' This variety is interesting for two reasons. It's a full double type, with an amazingly high petal count, and it starts out nearly white before coloring in to lovely lavender shades.
Golden Feverfew. The subject of an upcoming Pick of the Week column, this petite perennial is a great way to add gold to your garden. Here, pink scilla flowers peek through.
Sweet pea. This one has proved to be vigorous, almost too much so, as it is nearly smothering other plants in a sunny front yard bed.
Halimium sp. Happy now that it's finally in the ground, this little known shrub is one half of the parentage for the popular Halimiocistus shrub.
Penstemon 'Raven.' I almost killed this plant so to have it back vigorous for the first time is very satisfying.
Papaver rhoeas 'Falling in Love.' This silky, semi-double poppy looks wonderful when catching the sun.
Ixia 'Buttercup.' Though most people's experience with corn lilies is through buying packages of mixed color hybrids, there are some lovely individual colors out there. This is one of my faves.
















1 comment:

  1. I love your photos! Most of them are absolutely gorgeous, and I love how crisp your flowers look. Would you be willing to let me use a few and credit you for the work? I would love to discuss many of the same flowers at Wildflowers for sale.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10