Thursday, November 15, 2018

Back in the Fold

Well, between things slowing in the garden, being sick and then the particulate-laden gray skies, I haven't been taking many photos of my garden and thus not thinking primarily of this blog. Of course I have taken side ventures to post photos and info about bees, birds, public gardens etc but here once more I'll be posting some photos of my November garden. And even though the last 9 photos were taken under our recent gray skies, thus not quite capturing the full color of flowers under clear skies, they were sufficiently good to decide to post.


Yes, this an Angel's Trumpet tree! It's a new double form that Annie's Annuals is growing, called Brugmansia Double Apricot. Pretty fabulous. It literally is one trumpet flower emerging from the center of another! Plus the color is pretty fab. It took awhile for it to bloom but is hitting its stride now.


Here's a close-up of the flower and in fact this one flower is almost a triple! 


Kudos to those that can ID this flower. It's a Thunbergia battiscombei, sometimes called Blue Glory or Blue Clock vine. It grows more as a scandent shrub than an out and out vine like most Thunbergias. Very pretty flowers and they come out almost as a cornucopia, with a twisty neck


Speaking of unusual species or varieties of common plants, here's my Mandevilla Sun Parasol Apricot. This variety is so new that not many had a chance to grab one before growers ran out of stock this year.


Nope, these aren't green beans I'm about to harvest but rather the seedpods on my Tecoma x smithii. Although not in the legume family, the seedpods sure suggest that. 


Chamaecyparis pisifera Baby Blue. I love the glaucous tones on this dwarf conifer I recently brought home. Although it will over the years outgrow this small pot, it will be fine for awhile.


If we widen out, we see that the conifer above is part of a potted collection of dwarf conifers. I've run out of room for the time being - my planted conifer garden is just beyond the tree you see here - so it's pots for now. That's okay; a collection of colorful pots has its own charm. 


One last shot of my fabulous Begonia Belleconia Soft Orange. I love the fullness of the inner petals and then the contrast in color to the back orange petals. As many of you know I'm a Begonia lover and I keep coming across unique new ones.


For reasons I don't understand, my Heliotropium 'Alba' wants to bloom in late fall and winter. That's okay, something sweetly fragrant when not much else is in bloom!


If I'm remembering this correctly, somehow the tag disappeared, this is a type of 'peanut cactus.' In any case I think the 'colony' looks sweet in this reddish-plum colored pot


This Billbergia is taking its time in flowering. It keeps adding more of these elongated yellow bracts, which will eventually open pink flowers. Still, I thought it was pretty enough as is to post.


Snail vine. Those purple and white flowers belong to Vigna caracalla. It's climbed up into my Laburnum tree and now at the top has begun to produce its signature corkscrew fragrant flowers. Sadly they're just out of reach from the front house porch to get a whiff.


Streptosolen. Even on a cloudy day, the flowers on my marmalade bush still glow. Oranges, peaches, golds. Plus, it's a very tough shrub once established.


This Trachelium Hamer's Pandora is another late bloomer. This is a self-seeded specimen. Love that color and it's very popular with hummingbirds.


Rhodocoma capensis. My garden isn't really set up for grasses or in this case restios. But I had to make room for this Giant Cape restio (from the cape region of S. Africa) as it's so beautiful. Found a suitable pot, I like the rustic brown color, and am growing it as a kind of 'special interest' plant.


Now in year four, my Cunonia capensis (Butterknife tree) has really found its blooming mojo. The cream-colored flowers, which resemble fuzzier bottlebrush flowers, are to my surprise immensely popular with honey bees. Guess they must contain a lot of nectar! One of the favorite plants in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10