Saturday, July 25, 2020

The crawl

Not sure if 'The Crawl' is an actual gardening phrase but it's mine for the mid-summer to mid-fall period when the garden transitions from the glory of spring to the fall season. There's still lots going on in my garden now, as today's photos will attest, but the amount of new developments has slowed. I know this because I keep a journal of developments in my garden. But hey, it's sunny out, a lot of us have more time in the garden and for sports fans such as myself, baseball is back!
That noted, here are today's photos.


Chantilly Peach snapdragon. Glorious!


Front yard color.


Medium strip. Here's an example of what can be packed into a median strip. I have 3 trees, 4 shrubs and a dozen potted plants of various sizes. Somehow they have found a way to coexist. 


Neoregelia 'Lorena.' Though leaf color is the main reason for adding these colorful bromeliads to your garden, they do actually flower. Here you can see the tiny lavender flowers forming in the center 'cup.'


Lily Portland. One of my faves this year. 


This 'mistake' (grower sent wrong variety) produced glorious golden trumpet lilies.


Lily Conca d'Or. This translates literally as 'golden conch' and that's a pretty accurate description.


Roselily mix. This double Asiatic lily type produces fully double flowers in shades of white, pale pink and rose pink.


Mimulus Jeff's Tangerine. Doesn't this variety of sticky monkey flower sound like the name of an art rock band?


Lily Scheherazade. One more shot of this glorious lily.


Although the first flowers on my Lily Flore Pleno haven't fully opened you can already see evidence of their double form.


My Stephania keeps pumping out the heart-shaped leaves. This caudiciform is surprisingly easy to grow.


I plunked a new little Sedum in this teacup, where I hope it will eventually spill over.


Darwinia taxifolia. I'm getting some very pretty chartreuse new growth on this new addition to my garden.


Begonia Berlleconia Soft Orange. Very unique flowers for a begonia.


Art deco tile. I'm not sure where I want to put these guys but at least they're now displayed outdoors.


Lily Captain Tricolore. Extravagant!


Grevillea Superb. A Protea family member whose variety name is well earned.


Strobilanthes anisophyllus. I'd never seen a Strobilanthes with dark foliage. Lovely.


Eriogonum latifolium. This CA buckwheat has made itself comfortable in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10