Friday, February 4, 2022

Hints of Spring

 It seems odd to even mention the word 'spring' in early February but then again when it's sunny and temps are in the 60s, one can't help but think ahead to spring. That said, here are more photos from my late winter garden.

Ranunculus. One of the earliest bulbs to bloom, it offers cheer in the middle of winter.

Erysimum Poem Mirabelle. This wallflower tends to bloom more in winter for me than in summer. Odd.

Tulipa saxatilis. This hardy and reliable species tulip has already sent up a bunch of shoots. Boring to some perhaps but for we bulb lovers, a bit of spring promise.

Melianthus pectinatus. One plant that's right on time is this Melianthus. Winter is its blooming time. Though the flowers are much smaller, and the leaves too, the foliage has that unmistakable smell of peanut butter!

My Cryptomeria Sekkan-Sugi has produced its first tiny cones!

My Aeonium 'Sunburst' continues to get bigger and loves its south-facing location.

Camellia 'Winner's Circle.' Such a lovely coral color!

Oxalis 'White Pillow.' I love how it's formed a perfect dome.

Although shot while in the shade, I love this new Iris reticulata named 'Painted Lady.'

Also shot in the shade, this daffodil was a shipping mistake by the bulb company. The pack of 20 bulbs was meant to be a Classic Trumpet mix but instead I wound up with these much smaller daffodils. Then again, they are fantastically fragrant so I'm not unhappy!

My Melaleuca incana has begun to bloom again. I love its soft, fuzzy flowers.

Anisodontea 'Strybing Beauty.' This vigorous mallow blooms nearly year round.

Completely different than the common hopbush, this Dodonea sinuolata makes these little red flowers/seedheads. By the hundreds.

My Magnolia 'Butterflies' is about to flower and I thought that the buds looked handsome against the vivid blue sky.

My Strobilanthes anisophylla has held onto its deep burgundy color.

Lachenalia tricolor. This species is almost always one of the most floriferous of all my Lachs.

This new addition sedum is S. spathifolium 'Tomales Bay.' Lovely.

Erica speciosa. This durable heather blooms off and on all year.

I've lost the tag for this low growing Grevillea but it reminds me of G. 'Coastal Gem.'

My Chasmanthe bicolor has the first of many flower spikes. Vigorous or weedy - you choose the description!

Salvia discolor. Here's a better shot of my favorite Salvia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10