Monday, March 2, 2020

An early spring

Today it's all about the photos but I did want to mention something about spring bulbs (and bulbs in general). To state the obvious, it's spring rains - and the returning warmth - that prompts bulbs to sprout and eventually flower. But if there's no rain this time of year, we gardeners need to step in and water the beds where those bulbs are, even if there's nothing there but bare ground. For myself, being a devotee of vertical gardening, I have plants planted over top of the beds that contain bulbs and in watering those plants, I'm also watering the waiting bulbs. Of course this holds true for pots as well.
Okay now the photos.


Wonga Wonga vine (Pandorea pandorana). You wouldn't even recognize this as being related to the regular bower vine, with its much small and more brightly colored tubular flowers. A PROLIFIC bloomer.


I love the flower color on my Abutilon thompsonii. Peachy-orange!


While this photo may only be of interest to Lachenalia lovers, or in general to those who love S. African bulbs, I guess I'm one of those folks!


Mimulus Pamela. For some reason I always want to call this flower Mistress Pamela. In any case, love the white-bordered yellow flowers.


Muscari 'Baby's Breath.' Love the pale blue color on this Muscari variety.


Iris Clairette. This reticulata hybrid offers up the most enchanting purples and blues. It's one of four I. reticulata varieties in my garden.


Daffodil Split Corona Rainbow. A new daffodil this year. Love that inner ruffled look.


Everyone will recognize this as a Kangaroo Paw. It's proved so vigorous that I already need to repot it.


I'm a big fan of species tulips (the common tulips you buy are hybrids). Here is my T. kaufmanniana Johann Strauss. Species tulips are smaller and not as showy but they do effectively naturalize in our mild winter gardens. The hybrids tend to need a cold winter to come back strong the next year.


I recently built a new raised bed, to act as a kind of overflow for my collection of dwarf conifers. This new addition is a Chamaecyparis pisifera Mini-Variegated. Very sweet.


Ranunculus offer some of the most vibrant colors of any spring bulb. Their bloom season may be short but they make a real show while they're in bloom.


Top is a photo of my Gaillardia Arizona Sun. These 'Blanket' flowers love the sun and kick into bloom once the weather warms up. Directly above is a sweet little Daffodil that returns faithfully every year. I've lost the tag so I'm not sure which variety it is. 


I think of Sparaxis, Ixia and Freesia as being a kind of trinity - all early spring bloomers, all come in a variety of bright colors and all naturalize easily in the garden.


Physocarpus Nugget. This golden-leaved 'Ninebark' is a spring delight.


Here are some freesias that have reverted to the species color, as well as one of the colorful sparaxis.


This little charmer is Ipheion uniflorum. It produces these delightful star-shaped blue flowers in late winter and naturalizes in the garden.


Here's another shot of a clump of freesias that has reverted to its species origin.  They may not be as brightly colored but they are more intensely fragrant.


Daffodil Split Corona Rainbow. Love the ruffled centers.


Osteospermum Blue-eyed Beauty. These guys are coming back strong!


It is perhaps hard to appreciate the subtle yellow colors of my Magnolia Butterflies from this distance but it's putting on a good show this winter.


My Anisodontea Strybing Beauty has proven to be lush and an excellent bloomer.


Though the individual fuzzy flowers on my Melaleuca  incana aren't quite in focus this photo gives an idea of how prolifically it's blooming this spring.


I cut my Melianthus pectinatus to the ground and this year it's been slow to return. Usually it's already in bloom but I imagine it won't be long now. Different leaves than the much larger Melianthus major but the same smell of peanut butter to the leaves.


Chasmanthe bicolor. This Crocosmia-related bulb from Africa is vigorous, sometimes to a fault. Great plant for attracting hummingbirds.


Here's one of my dwarf conifer bowls, with 3 different specimens now starting to crowd each other a bit.


Grevillea Superb. Mine is finally blooming in year three. Fabulous flowers.


Banksia rose. The yellow form of this popular climbing rose is already producing its first flower clusters. Sweet.


My Leucospermum Veldfire's flower buds are fattening up and acquiring more of their signature yellow fuzz.


My Fatshedera seems to be settling in, though it hasn't grown much. Warm weather will no doubt help.


Ribes aureum. Though the flowers are small, simple and a plain yellow, I'm thrilled to ahve this flowering currant fdinally flower! Next on the wish list is to get some berries from the flowers.


I recently bought some Mexican tile. Here are four of those pieces.


Another shot of my Camellia Winner's Circle.  This hybrid from the famous Nuccio's Nursery is very hard to come by so glad I snapped it up when I did.


One last shot of my Abutilon thompsonii. For some reason it's decided to take more of a bush form and not a tree form like many Abutilons. It suits the space so fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10