Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Spring flowers part one

I went to start this post today and knew I had lots of photos of spring flowers in my garden but oh, wow, I have a LOT! So I'll divide them among two posts. This first batch were taken on March 3rd and 5th. Most of these are common - especially lots of bulbs - so won't go into a long explanation.
The first plant however, Eutaxia obovata, deserves a bit more of an introduction. It's an Aussie native and it has two very distinctive qualities about it. The flowers are very tiny but curiously shaped like sweet pea flowers. And of greater interest is the fact that these flowers line each branch along its length. Hundreds upon hundreds of them. It's the plant of the year so far in my garden.


The aforementioned Eutaxia obovata. It has since produced even MORE flowers, so many that it's smothered the plant!


Some of you may know that many of the common gladiolas on the market today are hybrids of species glads. Many of those species glads hail from S. Africa, as does this lovely G. huttonii.


Scilla violacea. This super easy to grow bulb puts out lots of nodding purplish-blue bell-shaped flowers in early spring. 


People are finally discovering Harlequin flowers (Sparaxis). The hybrids, like this more simple orange one,  come in a variety of colors, most with a dramatic inner ring of a different color.


Everyone loves the sweet smell of Freesia. Super easy to grow, comes in a variety of colors and readily naturalizes in your garden.


This snapdragon was advertised as orange but instead is a vibrant red. It got off to a slow start but is blooming away now.


Here's another shot of my lovely Trochetiopsis ebenus (say that real fast 10 times). Simple pure white flowers that about 4" in diameter.


Daffodil Dick Wilden. One of the new Daffodils I planted this year.


Ipheion variety. Can't remember after all these years which variety this is but it now produces hundreds of flowers in a sunny front yard bed.


Speaking of rare Aussie natives, this is Freylinia undulata. Tubular purple flowers are tiny but somehow that only makes them more charming. 




Fuchsia Delta Sarah. Lovely combo of deep purple and pure white.


This Passiflora Oaklandii has climbed up into my very tall apple tree, giving it the support to flower its head off!


Not my best photo but you get an idea of the variegation in the flowers of this Camellia Anticipation Variegated. Right now, it's my favorite camellia of the dozen I have in my garden.


Again not the best photo of this Iris reticulata but the flowers only stay open a day or two and I didn't want to miss it. Came out a lighter blue than most retics, which are a deeper purple.


This deceptively simple flower is a Moraea collina. Moraeas run the whole gamut from very simple to the extravagant and aptly named Peacock Moraea. 


Another shot of my Gladiolus huttonii. Though they didn't have the more dramatic red splashes that the grower showed on their site, they were still pretty and they bloomed the first year!


Eremophila hygrophana.  Known as Aussie Blue Bells. It's proved sturdy and a long bloomer, plus individual flowers stay open a long time.


I was wondering whether I might have been better off choosing a different variety of Daphne as my second. Until this Lawrence Crocker began blooming. Wow. It has a spicy sweetness to it. Fabulous. 


Here's the more usual Sparaxis, with the dark ring and yellow center. They bloom freely in spring.


This charming guy is a Tulipa saxatilis, one of the more readily available species tulips out there. And 'readily' also describes its blooming!


Rhododendron Donatella. Wish the light was better but this is the best shot I've come up with so far. Lovely flowers and quite large for a Rhodie.


Also wish the light was better for this shot of my Helleborus Double Ellen Purple. Love that color and the semi-double almost fringed form.


For something a little different, here's a shot of my Pinus thunbergii (Japanese black pine). It's still shooting up and not filling out quite yet. But it started small, from a one gallon container, and has made steady progress.


Ferraria crispa Dark Form. I call this my Chocolate ferraria because of its color. Slow to establish but once they do they bloom consistently and colonize.


Dicentra scandens. I've spoken of this bleeding heart a great deal so just enjoy its lovely lemon-colored flowers.


Wonga Wonga vine has got to make the Top Ten list of the coolest common names. Ever. It's Pandorea pandorana but that's such a dull moniker for such a groovy flower.

1 comment:

  1. I learn so much from your blog and beautiful pictures. Just wanted to suggest that the plant you label above as Scilla violacea is probably Hyacinthoides non-scripta, the English Bluebell. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10