Tuesday, October 13, 2020

3 Weeks to hasta la vista Trump!

 So, I'm stocking up on my party supplies for election day (or the day after, or two days after ...). I may be obsessed with my garden, with music and with art but nothing is more important than sending The Donald packing.

Okay, yes, gardens. Still plenty going on in my garden so let's go straight to the photos. This week I used my telephoto lens which allowed me to zoom in on smaller flowers.

My Rudbeckia Indian Summer has been a blooming machine. The R. hirta hybrids may not be as good in year two but they often bloom up till XMas here in Oakland.

The same can often be said for Calibrachoas, like this Cabaret Diva Orange.

My Justicias are blooming a bit late this year but I'm getting the best bloom season yet on my J. fulvicoma.

Monardella linoides. This hard to find Coyote mint is wonderfully aromatic, with lovely flowers that butterflies adore.

Salvia guaranitica Black and Blue. My zoom lens allowed me to get in for a closeup of this flower's black bract and violet petals.

Ditto for the unusual Ruellia brittoniana. It has simple purple flowers that remind me a bit of those on Solanum genus members.

The recent heat seems to be agreeing with my Grevillea Superb. The blossoms have a bit more color than those from even last month.

These curious little flowers belong to Berzelia lanuginosa, a S. African native. Called appropriately Buttonbush, the flowers come out pure white then age to this color. I love 'curious' plants.

My Hibiscus Adonis Pearl keeps on blooming. This isn't the best photo but I do love the huge flowers that, as I've mentioned, stay open much longer than with typical Hibiscus varieties.

This shot shows both the handsome leaves and an unopened flower bud on my evergreen Magnolia grandiflora Little Gem. It finally has rooted down through its huge pot and got a good root system established.

This quirky little guy is Senecio crassissimus, sometimes known as Vertical Leaf senecio. It's a sturdy succulent with a, yes, vertical habit.

"So hardy, they'll grow in trees." Not sure where that quote derives from but it is actually true of most bromeliads. Not sure what this gift is but it has made itself at home in the crevice of this tree. I'm giving it a spray of water a couple times a week and that's it.

My Eremophila glabra cyanosa seems to bloom in fits and spurts but it is slowly adding more of these charming tangerine-colored flowers.

The flowers on Salvia bullulata Pale Form may be tiny but they're a gorgeous robins-egg blue.

Pavonia missionum is a charmer, a Malva family member that while not hard to find at full service nurseries isn't always on everyone's radar.

No idea why my usually spring blooming Clematis Belle of Woking has just put out four flowers. Confused? Just wanting to show off? It isn't obvious here but the flowers are a pale violet color.

My Begonia odorata 'White' may have taken awhile to get going but it's now a blooming machine.

While it's the antler-shaped fronds on Staghorn ferns that draw our attention, the basal (and sterile) frond is quite beautiful on its own.

Monkshood. I've always thought that a plant so incredibly poisonous as Monkshood (Aconitum) should be associated with monks. But it's true, this unique flower showcases a hood that sits atop the opening to the flower.

Alert the media! My Podranea ricasoliana has produced its first open flared trumpet flowers! And they were worth the wait!


Finally, a shot of my glorious and seemingly ever-blooming Begonia Illumination Apricot. Highly recommended for an easy to grow floriferous begonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10