Friday, October 23, 2020

Summer after Fall

 No need to expand on the subject line; we often get our nicest weather in late September through mid-November. A bit cool in the morning but then lovely blue skies and pleasant to warm weather. I always think, tell your out of state friends to visit in early November. It's likely really cold if not wintry already in their home state and meanwhile it's a balmy 70 degrees here. If that doesn't make them want to move here then I guess they're not meant to.

Our gardens also benefit from this extended summer, with certain plants continuing to bloom well into December. Today's photos somewhat mirror that situation, with much still in bloom in my late October garden. Meanwhile, a wicked cold front is moving down the east coast. Okay, then, here are this week's photos. 

For some reason my usually spring blooming Clematis Belle of Woking is blooming in October. Must be the warmth. Then again, there are a few clematis that are repeat bloomers.

Dianthus seem to bloom nearly round in the milder areas of the Bay Area. They are incredibly hardy, toughing out winter temps.

There are summer blooming Oxalis and there are winter blooming types. Here's one of the winter types, O. triangularis. Hailing from South America, it is one of the hardiest of all Oxalis species.

Though not yet in bloom, my new Erythrina crista-galli, curiously known as Cockspur Coral tree, is putting out a healthy set of leaves. This is my second attempt at growing it. If it can make it through the colder climes at Ruth Bancroft Garden, it should be fine here in Oakland.

Speaking of confused, this newly arrived and potted lily has put out its first flower. It too must be confusing the warm weather for spring.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Barry's Silver.' One of my favorite dwarf conifers.

Eriogonum crocatum. One of the most silver of all the California buckwheats. Sweet!

Another usually spring-blooming Clematis, this C. Niobe is eager to show off its velvety rich burgundy color.

Blue Bear's Paw fern. One of my favorite ferns.

This new addition to my Begonia collection is called 'Frosty.' You can see why, with its silvery sheen.

Pelargonium Fireworks Red and White. A reliable bloomer and one of many red-flowering plants in bloom in my garden these days.

Here's another red bloomer - Salvia regla 'Huntington Gardens.' This sage also has fragrant foliage.

Mina Lobata vine has a neat trick, with flowers opening a vivid red, then aging through orange, yellow and white.

My Rudbeckia Indian Summer keeps on flushing out large golden flowers with chocolate centers.

Most of my Mimulus varieties are also in bloom. Here's my M. Jelly Bean Gold.

I had to temporarily move my Neoregelia Orange Splendor into the shade, whereupon it lost its color, reverting to all green. But back in the sun for only 3 weeks, it's already reclaimed most of its dark red tone.

Perhaps the reddest flower in my garden, Ruellia elegans is the very embodiment of vibrant red color!

I recently did my first order with Kartuz Greenhouse in Southern California. They specialize in Begonias and semi-tropical plants. Here's one of the latter - Breynia disticha Minima. As the variety name implies, it stays small. Love the delicate and variegated leaves.

Billbergia 'Halleluja.' This is the most reliable bloomer of my large collection of bromeliads. It has 3 open flower spikes right now, with two more coming on. Spectacular!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10