Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Spring flowers part 2

As promised, here's the second batch of photos, taken over the last week or so, Despite the chilly weather, things are bursting into bloom.
Okay, the photos. Due to the volume, I'll mostly just provide the botanical ID and skip an explanation or story.







Above, a pure orange Sparaxis. Here, my Daphne Lawrence Crocker. Such a fabulous sweet and spicy scent.


This 4" snapdragon has gone crazy in the blooming dept. I have it out front for all to enjoy.


My cat Phoebe. She's an indoor/outdoor cat so she eats the regular grass outside for her stomach health.


My Eremophila hygrophana continues to bloom and to prosper.


Melaleuca incana. Love those alabaster-colored fuzzy flowers.


Silene Clifford Moor. Thought I'd spice up this shady bed with a variegated Silene.


The star of my early spring garden so far is my yellow Banksia rose. It's scrambling through and above my Laburnum tree, and blooming its heart out.


Here's another photo of my Eutaxia, written about in the last blog post.


Fuchsia Sarah.


Here's the first flower on my rare Impatiens apiculata. Simple but a pretty good size.


Hibiscus trionum. This bushy, self-seeding Hibiscus has the sweetest flowers, even though I have yet to shoot a photo that captures both its true color and its beauty. 


Sweet pea North Shore. One of Annie's selections, this bicolored variety has plenty of wow and it really pops in front of the golden ninebark bush.


Everybody loves Dutch iris, as do I.


My Kangaroo Paw keeps on blooming and that little green 'paw' is actually the flower.


My Grevillea Superb is just finishing up blooming. Over too quickly!


There's nothing quite like the waxy fan flowers of Calothamnus villosus. They look delicate until you feel them.


Here's an exciting new addition to my garden - Darwinia taxifolia. Native to New South Wales, it's a low growing shrub, only getting to about 3' high.


Physocarpus Amber Jubilee. Love the ginger-colored new growth!


Tulipa hageri cross. Part of a newly planted species tulip mix.


Aloe striata in full bloom. Awesome!


It took 2 years for my marmalade bush to recover after a major pruning. Glad to have it back!


Freesia Lavender.


This freebia Oxalis, thrown in with a bulb order, has a nice combo of mint green leaves and pure white flowers.


I normally don't buy hybrid tulips but ordered this pre-chilled T. Cummins Fringed variety and so far it's put out one perfect flower after another.


It took awhile but my Rehmannia is finally beginning to flower.


Added my first two Calibrachoas to my spring garden, including this Cabaret Orange.


More Sparaxis. 


Babiana stricta. 


Did I mention I have lots of Sparaxis in my garden ...


Dutch iris Apollo. This yellow and pale lavender variety has returned faithfully since 2014.


Advance guard. Here's the first flower on my CA native Layia platyglossa. Sweet. 


The auto setting couldn't quite zero in on the hundreds of tiny flowers on my new Corylopsis pauciflora but they're fabulous.


A new Raspberry-colored Nemesia. 


My relatively new Abutilon Tiger Eye is putting out its first flowers. Love that pronounced veining.


Here's another shot of my Tulipa hageri cross. Again it was part of a species mix, one that didn't itemize all its selections.


IFerraria crispa variety. You never quite know exactly how any new F. crispa added to your garden will turn out. Love the colors on this new one.


Rhodie Sappho. Still my favorite Rhodie, picked up at Sonoma Hort nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10