Wednesday, May 6, 2020

A Sheltering Haven

It goes without saying that our gardens are a wonderful haven during this time of coronavirus sheltering. I hope that the gardeners among you are using the extra time to nudge your garden closer to how you visualize it. My response is always "Mine is a working garden." As in, my garden is always transitioning. That's why I love photographing my garden, be that individual or whole beds. It's a moment frozen in time. "This is how my garden looked on May 6th, 2020."
I can also recommend keeping a garden journal and recording the progression of your garden (if you have time in your life to do such a thing). Due to my chronic impatience, I'm always thinking 'Wow, this plant is late to bloom this year.' Which it might be but when I look back in my journal to the same date last year, it's amazing how consistent the vast majority of my plants. Almost all of them will bloom within a 2 week period before or after when they bloom this year, often in the same week!
Patience, grasshopper, patience.

So, here are the current batch of photos, taken over the last five days. Lots to enjoy!


Digiplexis Illumination Flame. This Foxglove relative's flowers are sterile, so stay open much longer than those of foxglove's.


Not every Aloe is a winter bloomer. This A. aristata just put up its first bloom spike.


Two of many a gardener's favorite CA natives - Baby Blue Eyes + Red Chief CA poppy.


I love the velvety purple of this petunia and it complements the yellow Kangaroo Paw nicely.


Agastache Red Fortune. A nearly year round bloomer and a favorite with bees and hummers.


Vriesea Red Chestnut. One of my favorite bromeliads.


There are plenty of attractive ground covers besides the usual suspects and this cheerful Calylophus drummondii is one of the. 


Pelargonium Raspberry Twizzle. The name kind of says it all. 


Physocarpus Amber Jubilee seedpod. For me, these bright red seedpods are more of an attraction than the simple white flowers.


This Primula is almost done blooming so one last shot of its subtle beauty.


Heliotropium arborescens. Don't let the color throw you; this is the same plant that has those vivid purple flowers that smell like vanilla (or talc powder to some). This straight species is considerably more fragrant so it got my nod.


Papaver 'Danebrog.' I'm guessing that this variety of breadseed poppy was named after Dannebrog, the flag of Denmark (which is of course red and white). One of my favorite poppies.


Tillandsia tectorum. A totally unique 'air plant' that's like no other. 


I finally got a decent shot of this Pelargonium 'Claire.' The almost black upper petals kept messing with the camera.


Philadelphus lewisii Covelo. This CA native mock orange may not be as fragrant as some of the hybrids but it's an amazingly prolific bloomer.


Plectranthus zuluensis. Hails from Africa (thus the 'zulu' reference).


Hakonechloa. Love this Japanese forest grass.


Billbergia species. Not sure which one this is, other than it having variegated leaves.


Sometimes you get lucky. This shot of my Clematis Roguchi captured the exquisite beauty of the flower.


My Lonicera x americana is off and running, the flowers attracting bees and hummers alike.


Papaver Lavender Feathers. This peony style breadseed poppy looks for all the world like a large floral puff ball.


Laburnum tree. This Golden Chain tree, as it's commonly called, is a prolific bloomer and so cheerful.


'Is that a Malva or are you just happy to see me?' So may wonderful members of the Malva family and here's one of my favorites - Anisodontea 'Strybing Beauty.'


My cat Phoebe keeping careful watch.


Daffodil Loveday. One of my faves.


Callistemon viminalis 'Little John.' This is the dwarf, bush form of the Bottlebrush tree.


Swainsona. There aren't many flowers whiter than this Aussie native.


Though I couldn't quite get the flowers in focus, my Verticordia plumosa is flush with flowers.


My Tweedia caerulea seems to have garnered the full attention of this bumblebee.


This delicate Columbine is Aquilegia 'Clementine.' Lovely!


Finally a photo that shows off the colors and beauty of my Pelargonium Caroline's Citrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10