Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Begonias heaven!

 Begonias are one of the most wonderful bulbs to add to your garden. There are many types, from the common fibrous, tuberous and Angelwing types, to the larger and more intriguing cane and shrub types. Today's blog showcases a number of these summer and fall bloomers.



From top to bottom, here are my Gloriosa lily, Salvia melissodora, silvery Centaurea ragusina and directly above my ever blooming Erythrina crista-galli.

Petunias may be common but they still are pretty.

My Aloe striata is handsome even when not in bloom.

Nandinas are a workhorse plant. Here's a variety called Firepower, showing its fall red blush.


 Above is one of the many bromeliads in my garden; underneath is the first photo of my many Begonias (Nonstop Orange) and directly above is my golden Duranta. It was slow to establish but is a real trooper now.

Above is my Asarina 'Joan Lorraine.' When customers ask me for a small, well-behaved vine, this is one of my favorites to recommend.

This is one of several Angelwing begonias I have in my garden. Many of these types have spotted leaaves, as this variety does.

I forget the variety name of this Tradescantia but I call it 'Fuzzy' on account of its furry foliage. Tradescantias make wonderful ground covers for part shade.

There's no 'bluer blue' hydrangea than H. 'Nikko Blue'. It holds its robin's-egg blue color, even without a bluing agent added to the soil.

White speckled flowers hold an appeal for me. Here's a Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' showing prominent white coloring. Below is an unusual Viburnum, V. macrocephalum, showing some fall color.


AboveA
Above is the immediately recognizable Blue Bear's Paw fern. It has rooted down through its pot and now is prospering. Below that is another of my many bromeliads, showing some eye-catching banding. And directly above is a type of Bird's Nest fern, showing its prominent central spine.


This Evolvulus is both hardy, ever blooming and just so pretty. You want blue? This little ground cover has it in spades!

Lantana may be common but the bush types offer an array of tantalizing colors. Below is another one of many Begonias, which features lovely ginger tones.

Here's another one of my many Neoregelia bromelids. They are the easiest plants to care for and look good year round. And below is my Mandevilla 'Apricot'. Subtle color but beautiful.

Above is my ornamental grape (Vitis coignetiae. showing some of its fall color. Huge leaves are a feature of this species.


There are many types of plumbago. This ground cover type is Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. It's a workhorse plant and is a welcome mid-fall to early winter bloomer.

Another Begonia, this one B. belleconia 'Soft Orange'. It features ruffled petals and a pastel orange color.

Even tho this Begonia 'Wild Pony' has yet to bloom after like 8 years, I love its dark and heavily crinkled leaves.

Yet another Begonia that I've lost the ID tag for. Love the blush of colors here.

Here's a shot of the walkway leading to the backyard. As you can see, it's densely planted.

Here's one of my Angelwing begonias, with its characteristic sprays of pale pink flowers.

This Azalea 'Court Jester' has been through the ringer but continues to bounce back and even bloom late into September.

Another one of my Neoregelia bromeliads, this one called 'Comet'. Neos, as they are called, are known for their colorful centers, as is the case here.


Top photo is my Pelargonium 'Caroline's Citrine', an unusual Pel that prefers shade. It is favored as much for its bi-colored leaves as for its flowers. Directly above is another unusual Begonia. This one is called Gryphon and is treasured for its foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10