Wednesday, January 6, 2021

A bit of hope

 

I saw an article this morning that gave me a bit of hope about how the world is tackling climate change. Here's an excerpt;
"In 2020, the world focused on the pandemic but the global economy continued to decarbonise. As of December 2020, 110 countries have committed to carbon neutrality by 2050, China by 2060 and New Zealand by 2025! This means that 50% of the world’s GDP, and about 50% of global CO2 emissions, are covered by a net zero commitment. The UK’s "Green Industrial Revolution" aims to decarbonise by 2050 and kickstart a green recovery. Post-Trump, the USA is changing direction as Joe Biden promises to re-enter the Paris Agreement and proposes a "Clean Energy Revolution" with massive investment in renewables and greener infrastructure. The European Green Deal is a set of bold policies guaranteeing "economic growth decoupled from resource use" as well as ensuring "no place and no person is left behind".
Here are some statistics which show how that’s going and which might make you feel better about everything:
Businesses are getting involved: More than 1,500 companies with combined revenues of $12.5 trillion have set their net zero targets between 2025 and 2050.
The finance sector is investing in all things green: Many of the world’s largest insurers, pension funds and asset owners, with over $5 trillion, have committed to be at net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Tech is leading by example: Vitally important technological advances (AI, smart meters, weather modelling supercomputers, etc.) could deliver up to a third of CO2 emission reductions by 2030. Google has committed to operate using carbon-free energy by 2030, Amazon has targeted 2040 for carbon neutrality, Microsoft will be carbon negative by 2030.
Even the energy sector is decarbonising: Renewables offer a direct route to a decarbonised world. Including hydro power, renewables captured three quarters of new power capacity and in just five years, solar and wind have transformed from expensive power sources to the cheapest form of new power generation.
Caring about the environment is in fashion: Thirty-two fashion brands have signed the Fashion Pact, using the SDGs and science-based targets to eliminate carbon emissions by 2050. Brands are reviewing their outlook on profit and sustainability and balancing profit with people and planet.
So although sectors are moving at different speeds, all lanes are heading in the same direction: towards decarbonisation."

And now a few photos from my January garden. 

 
Strobilanthes anisophylla. The foliage on this plant is getting even darker with the cooler temps.

 
Phylica plumosa. One of the softest sensations in the plant world!

 
Sideritis cypria. These tiny flowers hold their own charm.

 
Mimulus Betabel. Hard to believe there are still Mimulus in bloom in January!

 
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody.' One of many dwarf conifers in my garden and one showing perhaps the strongest gold.

 
More bromeliads. I'll admit that not only do I love bromeliads but that with not much to photograph this time of year, it's all too easy to snap pictures of these guys.

 
My Podranea vine seems to flower whenever it damn well feels like. Though I'm not a fan of pink flowers, I do like these.

 
As a nurseryman I have no qualms about recommending Heavenly bamboo (Nandina domestica) for many a garden spot. Tough, beautiful, drought tolerant. Perfect!

 
Just simple stock but 'winter color', as things like stock, violas, calendulas are known, do serve their purpose.

 
Agave tricolor. This species has changed my mind as to agaves being difficult to grow. This one has been super easy and already has offshoots.

 
I took this photo of my bare Smoke tree because I thought the cluster of leaves that were 'trapped' at the base of the slender branches looked kind of cool.

 
Speaking of Agaves, here's my A. pygmaea, nestled among some lush shamrock oxalis. A nice contrast, don't you think?

 
My Melaleuca incana has filled out nicely. I love its finely textured grayish foliage.

 
Though not a great photo, I wanted to share the progress of my Buddha's Hand fruit. Did you know that this citrus plant is one of the oldest lemons in cultivation? 

 
This Cotyledon variety has made itself at home in a mixed succulent bowl. Too much in fact. I'll have to relocate it at some point. 

 
I love some of the variety names for bromeliads. This Aechmea is named Pickaniny x White Knight. Well, of course! It couldn't be named anything else, right?

 
Speaking of Aechmeas, here's my A. fulgens. It blooms every year without fail, with the vigorous orangish-red flowering stems that produce little purple flowers.

 
Here's a photo of the sterile basal frond on my Staghorn fern. I think they possess their own beauty.

 
These next two photos are of my Camellia Frank Hauser. Above is the flower fully open and below is one only half open. This is one of the Reticulas, a group of camellias known for their large ruffled blooms. Beautiful!



My Lace fern has remained evergreen so far. I love the look of it and it has proved to be a tough and adaptable species.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10