Saturday, January 2, 2021

A Word about Motmots

The Motmots are a family of birds in the near Passerine order Coraciiformes. This group includes the kingfishers, bee eaters and rollers, all very colorful birds. Motmots territory is restricted to woodland or forests in the neotropics, with the largest populations found in Central and South America. Motmots are famous for their colorful plumage and relatively heavy bills. All except the Tody motmot have relatively long tails that in some species have a distinctive racket-like tip. 

A friend gave me a lavish book on birds, filled with photos of colorful birds and that collection featured a number of these brightly colored birds. I was so entranced that I sourced them online and found 14 species. I thought it would be fun to share photos of them, especially on a dreary winter's day. And one last thing. My subject line is a play on words. The French word 'mot' literally means 'word.'  Today, I'll just post the photos and ID the birds. Maybe at some future point I'll be motivated to write a bit about each.

Amazonian motmot

Andean motmot

Blue-capped motmot

Blue-crowned motmot

Blue-throated motmot

Broad-billed motmot

Trinidad motmot

Keel-billed motmot

Lesson's motmot

Rufous motmot (my favorite0

Russet-crowned motmot

Tody motmot

Turquoise-browed motmot

Turquoise-browed motmot in flight

Whooping motmot


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10