Monday, May 10, 2021

Summer arrives

 It may not be the summer solstice for 6 weeks but our recent heat has brought us a bit of summer. Time to unearth the shorts and tees and sandals. My garden knows it's still early May but does like this new warmth.

On to the photos, this week a wide selection.

Philadelphus lewisii Covelo. A variety of our native mock orange. Not fragrant but prolific.

Iris ensata Galatea. A new Japanese iris added to my garden this year.

Monkey Puzzle tree. Looks innocent here but these babies can get big and the leaves are VERY spiny.

Four Neoregelias, a type of bromeliad related to Tillandsias (air plants).

Calceolaria Tiger Balloon. This perennial pocketbooks has bounced back and is looking good.

I can't remember the name of this Petunia but I love the splotches!

Nemesias are a great way to add color to the garden.

Bronze fennel. I'm hoping to attract some Anise swallowtail butterflies to lay eggs on it.

My Lonicera x americana has gone berserk this year, smothering my Magnolia tree.

Year 4 is the charm for my Berberis Orange Rocket, which is finally looking its best.

If this looks like a bottlebrush tree, you're 90% right. This is a lower growing bush type called Callistemon viminalis.

I almost chucked my Verbascum Cotswold King but at the end of year two it finally sprouted flowers. Now it's blooming its head off.

I have many Mimulus in my garden and this bright red one is called Valentine.

This unusual lily is called Apricot Fudge. It's a semi-double with an interesting petal arrangement.

Laburnum. This golden chain tree has proven to be sturdy and reliable and the bright yellow, pea-like flowers are so sweet.

My marmalade bush is back to the glorious blooming that always catches every passerby's attention.

Here are three new Pinus species. They're small I know but they already have new growth.

Snapdragons may be common but they're pretty and the bees love 'em.

Lily Night Flyer. One of many new lilies in my garden this year.

Here's more of a closeup of my bottlebrush bush. Hummers and bees love the flowers.

Nemophila 5 Spot. A cousin to the well known Baby Blue Eyes, 5 Spot has white flowers with purple spots on each of the 5 petals.

Lily Asiatic Mix. Though supposedly a mix, last year every flower came out as you see here - orange with red tips. I love the combo so wasn't disappointed.

Vitis coignetiae. Sometimes called Crimson glory vine, this grape relative produces huge leaves that will turn red in the fall.

Abutilon Tiger Eye. No flowering maple's flowers have such bold markings as do this popular variety.

Picea sitchensis Papoose. A lovely dwarf spruce I added to my garden this year.


Cryptomeria 'Spiraliter.' I love all the chartreuse new growth.

Sedum Xenox Orange. This tall purple sedum is getting ready to flower.

 

Common sweet peas but placed along the railing so all can enjoy their sweet scent.

Pelargonium 'Claire.' Love the color combo on this pelargonium.

Finally, a bit of art. Here are three new tiles I have along the cement ledge that borders our walkway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10